View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Thanks to Cromag for this:

Author's description:

Quote:
Here are nine tales of Henghis Hapthorn, foremost freelance discriminator of Old Earth in the planet's penultimate age. Included are the six stories that ran in The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction (and were previously collected in The Gist Hunter and Other Stories), leading up to the events that began the first Hapthorn novel, Majestrum, plus three more.
A "freelance discriminator" is similar to the "private investigator" of our time.

A few weeks ago I spent $2.99 on this anthology, and I was happy. The author's style is similar to Jack Vance's, but seems natural, not "forced." I found the connection to the Dying Earth universe a bit strained, but unnecessary -- they're good stories that stand on their own. I liked it well enough to leave a good review.

I was just going through my library at Smashwords and noticed that this ebook is now FREE. I don't know if this is a limited time promotion or a permanent reduction, but this is really worth a look. (BTW, last I checked it was 99 cents at Barnes & Noble.)

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/344923

Also free at Amazon US and Amazon UK

[Although published by the author, I'm including it in this thread because most of the short stories in it have been professionally published in F&SF. Paul.]