View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
bits and bats of extra info please

I see you don't have a device yet... right? EDIT:.... oh... or perhaps you already have a 4

DEVICE: The k4 would have a inverted color set. so is possibly/probably not the right choice.. also you would need to run some extra code to manage the screen refresh which would extra pain/effort

I would choose: k3 (or dx for extra luxury, it would have slow screen refresh but meh more screen real-estate, it [the dx] also may need the extra refresh code I would have to check it has been a while...)

Personally I would: Just install the KUAL prerequisites bundle and KUAL itself.

IIRC there is an extension already (which needs a bit of config but meh it's doable even for an end user) EDIT: ah yeah HERE

Ubuntu is fine - (I use Ubuntu Mint so it would be much like my setup)

EXAMPLE: I use my k3 to monitor when I should get out of the bath by VNC'ing into my machine and watching the build's roll by.

CAVEAT: moving around on the screen is currently a bit of a PITA... no complete solution exists yet that I know of...
k3: You would be restricted to an 800x600 resolution. or 600x800
It may not work EXACTLY as you imagine it might. but input is supported and configurable

EXTRA TRICKINESS: The k4 does have an (extremely complicated) option of supporting OTG USB devices.. ( a mouse or an external keyboard) but that is still something that is on my TODO pile so I can't help you further there other than indicate it exists and point you to resources. Whether this would be extremely helpful I have no Idea... need more info and honestly I am just mentioning it here for completeness to the answer. EDIT: I note from your other posts around and about that this IS something that you are interested in... so might be worth the effort. But I cant help further with the final implementation. however there are all the modules you might need in the (as yet unreleased)kual-system project. But as I say... Can't guide you through that.

K3 solution ALTERNATIVES: There is a solution to setup the device as an EXTRA screen (IIRC, yeah.. I am sure... I did it once EDIT: okay here just read the whole thread) and that may be an option but extra effort and research/reading/resources will be required.

QUESTION: you say you are looking to "develop" on the device... In LaTex. What GUI do you use for that... or is it a text editor only job. I have no idea.

FINAL THOUGHTS: I would even be happy to quickly mock up a check to see how realistic/good the solution might be (with screenshots) given more info... but I need more info.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by twobob; 03-20-2013 at 10:49 AM. Reason: links...
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote