View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 05:51 AM   #6
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My understanding (which may of course be wrong) is that currently, DRM-removal is only illegal under UK law if done for commercial purposes. All references to DRM-removal in the copyright act appear to carry a qualifier to that effect.
My reading (which may obviously also be wrong - IANAL) of the Copyright, Designs and Patent Act is that DRM stripping is *illegal* under UK law.

The sections which make the distinction between commercial and domestic use are those referring to importing, distributing, possessing etc. devices or services designed to remove DRM.

The actual act of stripping DRM, however seems to me to be deemed illegal without restriction to commercial purposes by section 296ZA (Circumvention of Technical Measures).

Relevant legal mumbo-jumbo available here:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...copyprotection

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote