View Single Post
Old 07-20-2009, 07:47 PM   #14
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
I don't think it can be seen quite that way. N-one except Amazon can create the Kindle format. That's why there is a big debacle about Amazon converting PD books to Kindle format, allowing them to be sold, then pulling the books from the Kindles.

I'm also betting that there's no way that another book publisher will have the ability to sell Sony Reader books when they have a deal with Borders. Especially if the someone is Barnes & Noble, their arch-rivals.

Sony has Border
Amazon covers Kindles
B&N will cover the rest.

If I'm wrong in anything I've just said, I'm certain it will be brought to my attention
Sony supports two DRMed formats - their own .lrx and ePub.

If B&N were really going with an 'every device' strategy, they'd offer at least .mobi (which Kindle supports) and ePub (which just about every other device supports). It would be hard to find an e-reading device which doesn't support one or the other.

Borders does not own Sony, is not owned by Sony, and other than selling the readers (which many other stores do as well), has no 'deal' with Sony that I am aware of.

It's like saying you can't buy the same dish-soap at Target and Walmart because they're rivals. Of course you can.

As I said, B&N is just adding to the Tower. Stop it, please, before it topples over.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote