View Single Post
Old 02-28-2010, 09:44 AM   #39
njm
njm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Book Reader PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I can understand how people can be put off by the politics of Gone With the Wind, but in my humble opinion the storytelling is excellent and the characters are as fully drawn and interesting. I guess I'll just have to file this under everyone has different tastes; but for the life of me, I don't see how anyone can not be drawn into this story.
I'm drawn into the story. Mitchell does an amazing job of describing that world and that era. I live in the Charleston area so on that local level, it's fascinating reading because what Mitchell is writing about is still relevant today. So I'm not finding it difficult to read. It's just I'm finding Scarlett so unsympathetic--maybe she grows but right now she's insensitive and solipstic almost to the point of being mentally disturbed; she doesn't even care that her husband died--and Mitchell's politics so dubious that I'm reading Gone With the Wind at a distance, almost feeling a bit queasy at times, like I'd be better off reading Dickens or something.
njm is offline   Reply With Quote