View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 04:48 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtype View Post
1> I would go with the Alternative, i.e. it is either set or not. for 2 main reasons,
a> If you want to be able to display 3 states on an UI you cannot use a checkbox, which is the IMHO clearest way to display a Boolean value. and the easiest for a user to interact with.
Actually, checkboxes can be tristate. They are normally used to indicate 'set to yes', 'set to no', and 'no change'.

That being said, so far I have failed to convince the graphic toolkit to display read-only data in the display table using a checkbox , and I have been too lazy to paint my own 'check'. I have succeeded in using a checkbox to edit the data, but doing so is less appropriate if the read-only display is text.
Quote:
b> While the concept of null or not set is clear to programmers, it has been my experience that it causes confusion with end users.
I tend to agree. However, some non-programmers have told me that they think of null as 'I don't know', which seems to work for them and is, luckily enough, exactly what it means.
Quote:
Just my 2 cents.
Very inexpensive advice. Not cheap, though.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote