View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 07:36 AM   #1
Petrous
Petrous began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question about e-ink reader fragility and comment about Bebook warranty

Last weekend I put my bebook in a shopping bag with some other books. When I got home I found that the screen was malfunctioning - it hadn't cracked but the bottom left 20% of the screen shows a stuck image.

I had gotten the bebook (as opposed to the Sony) because of its "international warranty" ( I'm Australian). As it turned out the warranty is pretty useless. Firstly it costs $50 just to return the unit to Holland. Secondly I sent bebook a jpeg of my unit and they replied

"It looks like that your BeBook has been broken from external factors.
If we investigate your BeBook and conclude that this is not a warranty procedure cost for replacing your screen would be $ 175,- Us dollar."

Strictly speaking they are right - presumably there was some minor bump which caused the breakage. On the other hand I can't remember any trauma to the bag (which ironically mainly held some paper books - all of which are fine). I would have thought that in its protective case the bebook should have been OK but maybe I'm wrong. I would like to hear from people how fragile or robust they have found their ebook readers and how careful do you have to be with them?. Is the bebook particularly fragile and would a Sony or Cybook be tougher?
Petrous is offline   Reply With Quote