View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 05:24 AM   #46
alefor
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics View Post
2) Second, as a student, one of the things that frustrated me was the selection of the ebooks. I realize that this isn't enTourage's fault, but their selection when it comes to the "standards" is rather poor- none of the undergraduate-level books used at my current school or where I went to undergraduate are on the site. There also aren't any of the reference books I need to use. So, if I'm not going to be able to get most of my books on there, then I still need to carry my bag full of heavy books (and my laptop) anyway...so why am I getting an ereader again?

Also, at least once, when one somewhat popular book appeared, it was an edition out of date. As I said, it'd not enTourage's fault, but when deciding on a device, whether or not you can get the books you need matters, and Amazon and B&N have a wide advantage there.

4) Time limits. Let's look at an introductory book, College Physics by Serway; you're only allowed it for 180 days. This book would be used for a two-semester introductory class. But what if you didn't take the second semester right after the first? You'd need to buy the book again. And what happens when you get to sophomore level physics and need to look up those equations on diffraction...no more book.
I feel your pain regarding textbooks, but I would like to point out that there are two other solutions. One is to buy the textbook, cut off the binding, and scan it in as a pdf. I have done this with a few books, which eliminates both of the very valid issues you raise. The other way raises legal and ethical questions that you have to answer for yourself, and that is that there are many books available as free pdf's on the web. I am neither endorsing this nor suggesting that you do it, only that it is possible. This includes a huge number of current editions of physics textbooks. In any case, either or both of these methods would allow you to more fully utilize the eDGe's ability to store and annotate pdf files.