Thread: Skiff reader
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2010, 03:07 PM   #8
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdahler View Post
I'm confused. There wasn't anything in that article that even remotely could be connected with the Skiff Reader or the Skiff Reader's display. That article was about LG making some little 6" display for iRiver. Did you mean to post some other article, perhaps, that is related to the Skiff Reader? Also, do you have any links to the "media reports" that say Hearst was not offering the Reader as part of the sale? Everything I read barely even mentioned the reader, but certainly I don't remember seeing anything saying Hearst specifically was not offering the hardware for sale. Lastly, do you have any official source saying Sprint is still expecting something by 4Q, or is this just pure rumor?
i should have quoted my original posts. it would have been easier.

At SID in May LG was showing off 4 displays of varying size and one that was color. They said at that time that the 11.5" flexible metal foil display had entered mass production, that the smaller color would go into production in the 3rd or 4th quarter and that the larger size 19" they expected to be in production next summer.

Shortly after they announced the partnership with iRiver. Since the panels are in production and the device factory mentioned in the article I linked to will be ready to produce devices in August, it suggests that a device with the 11.5" display could be coming from there. Whether it will BE the skiff or some other design called something, it appears likely from the partnership announcement that this display will be used in a new device will come from there.

the sprint bit is a rumor I read on one of the tech blogs that had a forward looking memo or roadmap that suggested a ereader device. (edit- and Nate the Great had a source at Sprint tell him it was sill expected) they had previously announced a "multi-year" deal for 3g access and to have the readers sold at sprint stores

i'll see if i can find my original reads about the hardware but here is one quick one

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/me...ader/19515560/

Quote:
A Hearst spokesman confirmed that News Corp. is only acquiring the publishing platform, not the device, which was being developed in conjunction with a third-party manufacturer. It's not clear what will become of the device itself, but it appears that Hearst will seek to sell it in separate deal.

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 07-25-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote