View Single Post
Old 10-24-2009, 09:10 AM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I thought it was an ok read. There were some interesting concepts; but I didn't find the characters particularly engaging, and there were some plot points that I couldn't resolve (maybe I missed some things).
One was why only humans were affected, and not other species. There were a few mystical references to 'human consciousness', but I wasn't convinced.
Another issue I had was the 'failure' of various machines to record what happened during the 'flashforward' event. As I understood it, this was because recording devices captured the superposition of all possible outcomes - and the results appeared to be noise. If this was the case, then you could stick a video recorder in a Schrodinger's Cat-type experiment and see if it recorded all outcomes - proving Schrodinger right (or not as the case may be); but you can't actually do that.
Overall, 6/10.

I'm with you there on the consciousness thing vs the machines, but I think that was the ol' "If a tree falls in the forest" thing. I didn't totally buy it either.

I also didn't feel there was a clear enough "explanation" of why it happened in the first place vs the second place. Yeah, Yeah, I know the distant star collapse etc. but still I didn't fully buy in to that.

There was one typo that really threw me at one point "glock" was typoed to be "dock" I think....being a Glock owner I noticed.

I also didn't buy in to the back and forth and all that in the tunnel at the end -- I felt it was very contrived.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote