View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #906
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philantrop View Post
Micah, I see you've edited the comparison on Wikipedia, thanks. I appreciate any help with that. I'm trying to follow development for all listed readers but that's a challenge. :-)

A few question to ensure a common understanding:
- Where in BFR do I find the browser for downloading ebooks or any other facility for manually downloading ebooks?
mb--Ah, I interpreted that as supporting downloads initiated by links in the browser on the device. Bluefire registers the epub mime type with the OS when installed, which will include Bluefire in the list within the "Open In" Browser dialog for links to EPUB in web pages. Also, in the "Get Books" tab, when you tap on "free ebooks" at the top, you can browse and search the Feedbooks public domain ebook feeds, and tap on links to download direct from that catalog. We also support "scheme" links (bluefirereader://download/<url to epub> that when tapped in the browser will directly launch the app and begin downloading the epub. Also, we support a bluefirereader://nav/web/<url of site/library> that allows epub distributors to offer links for browsing their site within a web view of the app. This results in one-tap downloading of EPUBs, including from public libraries. Perhaps I misunderstood the nature of that category. If so, please clarify, and if necessary, I will update to remove.

- How do I download epubs using BFR which are not part of any store or library? ("ePub Downloading" would have to be "Yes" for, e. g. iBooks, too, otherwise)
mb-- please see my answer above. I'm not clear on exactly how this differs from the category above.

- "OPDS catalog" refers to the reader allowing for adding any spec-compliant OPDS catalogue which, I think, BFR doesn't support at the moment, right?
mb--Bluefire does support browsing the Feedbooks OPDS feeds, which I specified. It is correct that the app does not currently have a means to add/access other OPDS catalogs.

- I seem to remember the "Built-in Web Server" but I can't seem to find it in BFR's interface. [A few minutes later] Just found it in your FAQ. Would be nice to expose that feature in the GUI
mb--Yes. We found the feature difficult to support due to the complexity of the work flow as as well as user problems with their home Wifi networks. Also, the feature is not as polished as I would like yet.
-Micah
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote