Thread: PDF vs LRF etc
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2009, 08:03 AM   #14
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleIvor View Post
Another problem is that all the LRF converters are distinctly clunky.
Calibre is quite good, but it wants to take over your whole machine. If you don't want that, the folder set up it used is horrendous.
BookCreator isn't bad, but again, feels clunky.
As to the others - I spent an evening downloading various programs and shuddered.
At the end of it, I have an LRF file, which can be read on ... Sony ereaders.
PDFs may not be designed for ereaders, but it works. Hey, I can even have more than one font in the text! I can send them to anyone else, and they can read it too.
And to make one? Put the text into Open Office, and press a button. It'll have proper widow and orphan control too.
You can use the calibre txt2lrf converter without using the library functions.
If you want the most general purpose format which allows things like italics, bold and font/size changes, then use HTML. Some of the other formats are just wrappers around HTML anyway, LIT and EPUB for two examples.
murraypaul is online now   Reply With Quote