Thread: MobileRead 2015 Categories Discussion
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2014, 07:06 PM   #39
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't think we need a vote. I think my list will do just fine. All we need to do is reorder it if need be.
I would prefer a vote to make sure we have some good buy-in, which hopefully will help participation. I made my proposal in post #25, but here is the recap:

Since nobody wants to redo the category nominations we did in 2012; let's have 3 simultaneous, multiple choice polls that cover most of the categories nominated in 2012. The three votes would be split into General, Non-Fiction Friendly and Fiction categories so that we will have a good variety throughout the year. Additional details in the spoiler.

Spoiler:
Preselected Category: No vote needed since everyone seems to like this category.
January: Second Chance (All the runners-up from last year) - Placed in January so that way we don't need nominations during the holidays and can just have the vote which can be extended since people may be busier than normal.

Vote 1 - General Categories: Top 4 will be selected.
  • Award Winners (choose your own award)
  • Banned/Challenged Books (someone had a problem with this book somewhere)
  • Classics (choose your own definition of "classic")
  • Contemporary Books ("newer" books, any source)
  • Foreign (originally non-English)
  • MR Author (especially if we can find an author who would provide a copy of their book for discussion and discuss it with us)
  • Patricia Clark Memorial Library (celebrate our own wonderful resource!)
  • Free-For-All
  • Lottery (volunteer or winner provides a list for selection, see Literary club rotating nominations. If no one wants to provide a list, this becomes a free-for-all month.)
  • Short Stories or Essays (specific short story or a collection which could be an anthology, a collection, or a web list of "best stories", etc.)
  • Independently published books
  • Personal Favorites (what is yours? Maybe limit nominations to 1 book, but don't require a second/third?)
Vote 2 - Non-Fiction Friendly Categories: Top 3 will be selected
  • Non-Fiction (anything non-fiction)
  • Science
  • Philosophy
  • Biography/Memoirs
  • Travel/Adventure (could be fiction or non-Fiction)
  • History
  • Mythology (and folk tales, etc)
  • Humor (could be fiction or non-fiction)
Vote 3 - Probably Going to be Fiction Categories: Top 4 will be selected, see note about SF/F.
  • Romance
  • Crime (fiction or non-fiction)
  • Mystery (cozy mysteries, etc.)
  • Thriller/Suspense (hard to be cozy with the action and/or tension in here)
  • Historical Fiction
  • Graphic Novels
  • Young Adult
    Note: Final selection will be limited to at most 2 of the following (to prevent saturation):
  • Speculative Fiction (catch-all for fantasy, science fiction, horror, steampunk, etc.)
  • Science Fiction (general sci-fi, Space opera, post-apocalyptic, etc.)
  • Fantasy (magic is generally involved)
  • Urban Fantasy (and paranormal or other contemporary magic.)
  • Horror (Psychological, physical, supernatural, choose your own flavor.)

Final list would be arranged by a volunteer (I will do it if no one else wants to) in a way that makes "sense", similar to what was done for the 2012 categories.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote