Thread: MobileRead 2015 Categories Discussion
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2014, 12:38 PM   #33
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, there can be overlap in science fiction and fantasy, but most science fiction and fantasy books fall into one category or the other.
I agree with this.

That said, I don't know that they need to be separate categories for the book club's purposes. If the group as a whole would rather have a single SF/F category rather than two separate categories that is fine with me. I enjoy both and would personally prefer them to be separate because that means there will be another month I where I will likely enjoy the selection, but if the group wants it combined I wouldn't argue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Star Trek is science fiction. Dungeons and Dragons is fantasy. They are very different.
Picking nits; While I don't disagree with that statement it isn't 100% correct. D&D also includes things like Spelljammer and Eberron which have some serious crossover with science fiction and steam punk*. Things like that (and Star Wars and Pern and ...) are why some places combine the two genres.

*I never know where to put steam punk. Some is SF, some is F, most is a little of both, but it is all steam punk. It is one of the main reasons I don't care if SF/F are combined as a category.

Last edited by Dazrin; 08-14-2014 at 02:04 PM. Reason: ...will BE another...
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote