View Single Post
Old 01-19-2010, 07:39 AM   #15
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Perhaps its portrayal of grief is better as a teaching moment than one of empathy, but, of course, I say this only on the basis of my own singular experience. I had not long lost my father to disease, in a final time both harrowing and somewhat heartening. I was still grieving, into the context of possible disorder. And yet, my empathy to the book's characters merely extended as far as acknowledgement of that grief. Perhaps that is the issue - that its portrayal is better as hindsight rather from within that which it portrays?
As mentioned, it is a book I'd recommend to those interested in the notion (of "heaven"). However, that notion's significant role in the book withdrew much empathy from me.
Whatever one may consider "literature" to be, it is for me and my definitions worthy of such "literary" experience. I can see why it is and will be loved by many people. I am just not one of those people.
Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote