View Single Post
Old 01-22-2008, 12:04 AM   #8
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
... Sure, Rowling is famous, but I don't think she changed literature in any significant way (I don't think her books are all that original, even though they are quite entertaining)...
I don't think her books are all that original either. Oh, I thoroughly enjoyed them, but they weren't great. However, Steven King did a "Now that the dust has settled" post, post-'Deathly Hallows', that you might at the very least find entertaining.

The point being, significance to literature...to culture...can be a funny thing, not always based on brilliance. I personally think she'll be seen in the future as a figure that had major and significant impact on literature, even if only from inspiring not only readership, but writership. Anyway, here's the Steven King article:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,2004...050689,00.html

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote