View Single Post
Old 07-31-2009, 07:21 PM   #19
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Well...it's official.
I don't like it. Not at all:
- The jogdial (select) is extremely flimsy.
- The design is mediocre = "plasticky".
- It hung itself when connecting to my UMPC at least 5 times. Doesn't happen with Sony and the others.
- ADE still doesn't show any of the Micro SD cards I've been using. Sony 505 and 700 still show internal memory AND both memory cards, so it can't be my UMPC.
- Display quality is at the lower end, maybe even to Sony 700. The cover graphics and smaller fonts are kind of faded out.
I'll retry in a few days. But if my momentary feeling remains, I won't use it. So far, it feels like a beta release...
And my iMac doesn't even recognise it, so I can't test ADE on MacOS...

UPDATE:

With Micro SD card inserted, it's not recognised on iMac. WITHOUT SD card, it's working. Obviously, instability and low performance is because of Micro SD card.
I've tried a few ones, so it can't be a specific defective one.
Of course it would be helpful, if the manual would specify the limitations of SD cards.
Proactively, I've tried an old 1GB card, though. No difference.
So I might have a defective unit or a buggy firmware.....

BUT: I ABSOLUTELY WANT TO LOVE IT. So I won't give up that easily...
5" definitely has its charm...

FINAL UPDATE:
Usually, I'm one of the few who doesn't like reflow and ePUB and surprisingly enough is okay with PDF.
Here it's totally different. As described before: In PDFs, I don't find the "right" zooming level. Either it's still too big or it's "fading out".
"Fading", which I didn't recognise at first, as it doesn't reflow PDFs but simply zooms them.

ePUBs have way better results. I'd expected a bit more, given the smaller screen/same resolution = higher dpi scenario.
When forgetting about my (too) high expectations and looking at it neutrally, for ePUBs it's a very nice and convenient unit.

Last edited by mgmueller; 07-31-2009 at 11:48 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote