View Single Post
Old 03-23-2012, 06:06 PM   #54
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
It does make for an interesting thought-experiment. What goods would have the most post-apocalypse value density?

Until spoilage, it seems obvious to assume canned and dried foods would be worth a lot.

Ammunition and weapons also seem obvious. There is a dual benefit, hunting animals and protection from people. I believe well-kept modern gunpowder-and-primer ammo remains usable for a century or more. I do expect to see more bows, crossbows, and slings mostly because the ammunition is often recoverable and requires less technology to create.

But there are items whose value density may be even higher. How about ceramic candle-type water purification filters? Or seeds for food plants? If you lived near an uncontaminated lake or ocean then fishing equipment would be amazingly valuable. Fire starters, as simple as flint & steel, would be a boon when it gets cold. Antibiotics would be worth a fortune, again assuming they haven't spoiled and the super germs don't make them obsolete.

I do wonder if there are enough people with the skills required to rebuild civilization or if it would come back at a similar (slow) rate to how our original industrial/scientific state evolved. A talented group of outdoorsmen, farmers, smiths, engineers, and other scientists could make quick strides if left unmolested to accomplish the task.

Can you imagine the religious power that might be afforded the doom-sayer who finally gets it right?
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote