View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013, 11:15 PM   #14
Mathew Reuther
SpecFic Writer
Mathew Reuther can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Mathew Reuther can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Mathew Reuther can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Mathew Reuther can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Mathew Reuther can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Mathew Reuther can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Mathew Reuther can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Mathew Reuther can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Mathew Reuther can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Mathew Reuther can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Mathew Reuther can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire, Nook, HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Sure. How 'bout good old Liberation Sans? I know that works, it's a go-to for us. Also, let's see...GandhiSans-Regular (I think that's a Google font, but it might be DaFont), League_Gothic, which is a truetype (again, forget where from); OratorStd; Century Schoolbook (truetype). Those happen to be at the top of my brain at the moment, because we just did some books that had those, and I know factually all of those work at KDP. Does that help?
Makes me cringe that some of those have been in my test pool. LeagueGothic-CondensedRegular, for example. That one came to me in otf (off of fontsquirrel's link) and KindlePreviewer warned that it's a PostScript font...tried anyway, and it was stripped.

But I will give it a shot with some of the others. Thank you very much for giving me a sampling to work from.

Quote:
Those font declarations in the manifest look fine. Yes, in the CSS it's: format() with the one word type, either "opentype" or "truetype" in the parenthesis, replete with quotemarks.
I'll add that into my @font-face declarations then.

Quote:
What's weird to me is that you say your fonts are surviving being Genned (KG or KP); they work in your ePUBs, but somehow, they're being stripped at the KDP. That's just bloody peculiar. This has been going on for months? You upload a working, functioning mobi with embedded fonts, and the preview is font-less? Man. That's

Hitch
I agree, and I've been around and around with KDP support on this and they tell me that they are researching it, then send me some pathetic wrong answer over a month later, or they just tell me I am doing it wrong. But according to their documentation, I'm not.

So, yeah...

Facepalm indeed.

And for the record, if it is useful, I am happy to hand the file off with some of these sample fonts (since we know they should work) just to see if touching the epub is useful. I really feel pretty awful talking to a professional formatter and basically begging for help, but the reason I have gone to the the time and effort of researching how to do this properly myself is because I believe that keeping the process in house is, in the long run, a much better option. (Assuming you can figure out how to do it right...which at this point it seems that I can't! Everything was going well until I wanted to take that one last little professional step and give the headers a bit to set them off by embedding fonts. Now, months later I am finally at the point of public begging for help. *sigh*)
Mathew Reuther is offline   Reply With Quote