View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010, 04:34 AM   #17
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
How about if there was someone standing by the photocopier printing off copies of the books? You think there might be something just a bit wrong with that? Just a little?

If we want the publishers to sell us books that are not so locked under DRM that you can only read one if a uniformed security guard is looking over your shoulder, copying them off for a few million of our closest friends is not the way to go about it.
I think you kind of missed the entire point of what I said and then only quote part of it, and then added a silly example that was pretty irrelevant.

I said

"I do think its funny that a sharing of real books done by a group of work mates or people who visit a hotel where there is a book share area would receive none of the same 'stigma' that sharing a book online brings.
maybe if people posted their invoice showing they originally purchased the book..."

sharing A book and having proof you paid for it is as close as you could get to lending a physical copy.

I then said

"I lent a guy at work the paperback Enders game the other day. Imagine If I said on here that I would email someone a electronic version of a book I purchased Im sure it would get deleted(and rightly so I understand teh pressures on MR) but it is a little silly."

Again i talked about lending or giving ONE copy to someone and i doubt if I offered ONE copy of each of my electronic books on here that it would be ok?
Yet if i Offered to post a paperback to anyone who wanted it would that get deleted?

I have hundreds of paperbacks in my loft If I gave all 500+ copies away would i get in trouble the same as if I gave away 500 ebooks online?

the isuue is of course with scale. but still no one will ever get in trouble for lending a paper book to 25 people or more via physical sharing.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote