View Single Post
Old 09-30-2009, 06:07 PM   #1
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
What copyright do you use?

Lately there's been lots of 'talk' (or shouting if I'm being honest) about copyright and what, if any, effect downloading has on the authors and publishers ability to sustain a living.

So I thought it would be interesting to get all those releasing their work here, or releasing elsewhere, to comment on what copyright schemes they use and why.

Is your choice of copyright picked because you fear you might lose money? What is your motivation behind your releases? Do you expect to be or are you chasing a traditional publishing route? Where do you stand on the downloading-is-hurting-authors debate (lets forget for the moment the definition of the word 'theft')? What do you think will happen to the publishing industry in the long run?

In the interests of all our sanity, lets all be civil (including me, if I get out of line, poke me gently with a stick to remind me )

----

So I'll go first. I long ago realized that what money there was to be made in publishing would never be made by me or by the fiction I was producing. My ideas are quirky, sometimes quaint and often misty-eyed. I don't write in any one genre. I don't have an exciting backstory or a great gimmick that would 'sell' my personality as a writer. Taking all these things into consideration I opted to release my work for free (with only a slight pause at the beginning while I considered charging) and under a creative commons license.

The license I use is a Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported. Basically you can do what you like with my work as long as you're not making any do-rey-mi from it My goal is now to simply get readers, as many as possible, and I feel this license is the best way to spread the work (Feedbooks as well of course where the work is hosted).

I'm totally pro file-sharing and see it as a great tool to spread your work to people who might never have heard of it before. I also believe that pay-what-you-want-after-you've-enjoyed-the-work is the only 'monetary' model that can be sustained in the future. I also believe that traditional publishing cannot survive in the face of a digital economy and that many, smaller, and more progressive 'collectives' of similarly-driven writers is needed to take us forward.

As to traditional publishing for my own work, every once in a while I have a panic attack and dash off three chapters and a synopsis ready to send to an 'agent', which I then promptly forget the day after
---

Your turn.

Last edited by Moejoe; 09-30-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote