View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
To me the Arc has a number of deficiencies. For about the same price you can purchase a tablet with very similar specs but does have these missing features.
1) lack of Bluetooth. Then you can, for example, use a headset and microphone and use Skype with it.
2) must use their charger. You can't plug it into any USB port. So what if it takes 8 hours to charge. At least you can charge it if you forget the charger at home.
3) it doesn't have a micro SD card slot. They want you to buy the larger capacity models for what seems to me to be a premium for that extra storage compared to a simple slot.
4) GPS. While I initially thought this would be useless for me it turns out that at least one amateur radio program I'm interested in could really use a GPS when I travel. Plus it simplifies using any mapping functionality.

The biggest downside of other Android tablets in the same price range is that their screen resolution is very likely to be lower. For example the Acer Iconia has a 1024 x 600 resolution while the Arc has a 1280 x 800. OTOH the Vox has 1024x600 resolution and it seems fine to me. OTTH I no longer use the Vox for reading books in low light situations as the Glo handles that nicely.

Oh, and of course you can download the Kobo Android app to your non Kobo Android tablet.

Last edited by TonyToews; 01-23-2013 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Added paragraph
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote