View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 08:02 AM   #20
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sregener View Post
I'm not saying that eBooks are by definition bad, or that they should be avoided. I have a Kindle 4NT myself, for crying out loud! But I give up some things with eBooks that I can't get back.

The way the books are perceived changes with an eBook. The specific pagination of the text is lost (which makes it harder to find things if you can only remember on what part of the page something was located.) .
That's what full-text search is for. Something you can't do at all in a dead-tree book.

Quote:
The permanence of the book is lost - I wrote some great stuff on my Commodore 64 that I'll never get back.
True, but backups are your friend (and regular conversions to a more modern data format).

Quote:
We're dependent on the Internet to stay as it is, open and free, so we can continue to access our libraries.
Clouds are good. Local backups are better. Never trust anyone else with the only copy of your data.

Quote:
And some ereaders track their users' reading, even on sideloaded content, so you're giving up some privacy there.
Don't use the WiFi/3G on your reader if that bothers you. You don't need to, convenient as buying books right on your reader is .

Quote:
It may be a bargain worth making, but nobody should close their eyes and cover their ears and say that technology only gives but never takes away. Because history has shown again and again that with each new technology that was going to make our lives easier or better or both, something was lost.
Maybe so, but ebooks are superior to pbooks in all ways that matter to me. And your arguments don't convince me that I have 'given up' anything...
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote