View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 04:20 PM   #28
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I agree, a List ( single column down) of 1,2 ... 189, 190 is absurd on a 5"+ screen
To bad Sigil can't offer some HTML TOC variations when the TOC labels are shorter than x :

Code:
  1 -     2 -     3 -     4 
 55 -   56 -   57 -   58
123 - 124 - 125 - 126
Or something simple that just wraps nice
Well, Ducks:

Y'know, in the alternative, why not a variant on something we do at my shop? This isn't exactly the same, but why NOT do a shortened TOC? Why not do a TOC that says "Chaps 1-10, Chaps 11-20, (or whatever), etc., and then have a link to the first chapter in the series of 10 (or however many)? You could put the "full TOC" at the back of the book. Put a link in the shortened TOC, that only links to the first in each sequence, that says, at the top or bottom "Link to complete TOC." I'd even put a SRL link that says "Start Reading" which goes to Chapter 1. {shrug}. I mean...this ain't rocket surgery, as they say.

@Le_Sparte (BTW: anyone else notice that now when we use the traditional Net method of addressing people, the @, it's turned into a Twitter addy? How annoying.): Any reason something like that couldn't work for you? Use the "shortened" TOC for your Guide-linked TOC, so that's what people get from the Go To, and give them the option of gazing in wonder at your hundreds of TOC entries on some page in the back. Yes, it means if they want a specific chapter that isn't 10,20, 30 or whatever, they have to click twice (Go To, then the "Full TOC"), but...at least your LITB would be manageable, on a single screen/page. Whatcha think?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote