View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 12:39 AM   #1
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Ramblings on e-reading and the Touch

Tonight I just got thinking about how much I love the e-reading experience. I absolutely love it.

Part of it is just e-ink. Mind you, the Touch is the first e-reader I've ever used, so I'm a bit spoiled as it has a Pearl. But... it's text. It's not light masquerading as text... it's actual bounce-light-off-of-it text, just like I've been reading with p-books for over thirty years. It's easy on my eyes. I can (and have) read for hours with my Touch. Can't imagine doing that with a tablet.

Part of it is just e-readers in general. I love the weight & size of the Touch, but other readers are similar. I read a lot of fantasy paperbacks that can get pretty thick. The Touch weighs less then the books I'm used to. I can hold it in one hand for hours.

That's another thing. This may sound silly, but do you have any idea how much I love that you can put the reader down and you don't lose your page? I've put my Touch on a table and sat there reading it, just poking at it when needed to flip the page. You simply can't do that with a paperback.

Bookmarking is another nice thing. Never need to remember to use one. (To be honest, I pretty much never do with a p-book.) Every time I turn on the Touch it'll open up my current book to the right page. Or, if I've been flipping between books... it remembers 'em all.

I can even do custom bookmarks in my gaming PDFs. Which comes in handy at the table. PDF support on the Touch just *works* for me. I was hoping it would be ok for gaming, and it is. I have a light, portable gizmo that I can take and it has all my Deadlands pdfs on it. And I never worry "did I charge it beforehand?" The odds of it being so run down I have to worry about it dying at the gaming table are slim indeed.

As for the Touch itself... with 2.1.5 I really like it. I like the home screen, with my five most recent reads or add ons. I like that Die Trying is sitting there, reminding me that yeah this is a library book that I should get around to reading.

I've looked at the Discover section a few times, and I'm glad I did. Had no idea that Dave Duncan had done a follow-up to his Seventh Sword series. Thanks for that, Kobo.

Shelves are great for me. Got my Exalted pdfs on one shelf, Deadlands on another, Hell On Earth on a third. Sweet.

I love the epub support. It's one of the main reasons I bought the Touch. With epubs & Adobe come libraries. And do I ever love the ability to use my local library without leaving my house or worrying about a late return.

I like the web browser. It's not much, but it means if I'm lying in bed and want to check the weather forecast without getting up, I can. It's nice. And I know I can use it to get another Guntenberg book any time I want to. That's nice too.

I love that I've got over eighty books on this thing, including a lot of pdfs, and I'm not even at the half-way point of the internal storage. I can't imagine filling it up, let alone filling up the two gig SD card I keep stuck in it just in case.

Overall, this is a gizmo that aids and abets my main vice, reading. Really glad my wife got it for me. Next is to save up and get a Glo... :-P
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote