View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 10:27 PM   #5
lol
lol began at the beginning.

Device: kindle DX Global
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
There's really no such thing as a 'unicode font'. I don't think any one font covers all possible characters in all languages, as unicode encoding covers many character sets. For example sanskrit characters are wildly different from Chinese characters, or hieroglyphics. They would have to install many fonts to cover all possible languages, and they are probably waiting to see what the demand really is before putting any work into determining how to represent character encodings in a bunch of different fonts (including languages that read right to left, instead of left to right, etc.).
Thanks for this. I'm not really versed enough in the details or the lingo to have explained my question well. I can tell you that I'm looking for these characters: ā ū ī ḍ ḷ ñ ṇ ṅ ṁ ṭ (I hope you can see them!) + in CAPS, and I think they are part of the Latin extended family. ā ū ī and ñ are rendered correctly, but not the others

Do you think an update coming from Amazon would work with the Kindle Global that's out now or would you recommend waiting/looking for different hardware?

... as an aside, I wonder how difficult it would be to let people sync up with their PCs to install fonts of their choice.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Last edited by lol; 12-28-2009 at 10:50 PM. Reason: clarification
lol is offline   Reply With Quote