View Single Post
Old 07-24-2014, 08:40 PM   #23
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
The simple answer to the georestrictions problem would be for the libraries themselves to limit paid memberships to those who live within the licensed area for their ebooks.
I'm not sure the problem exists as a practical matter. Libraries are major publisher customers. And, unlike Amazon, libraries don't demand sweetheart deals. So the risk of publishers suing libraries isn't that great.

As I understand it, the georestrictions for an eBook concern where you are when you borrow the book. This means that if libraries were really supportive of georestrictions, they wouldn't let patrons borrow when visiting abroad. And abroad doesn't mean overseas; Canada is a short bus ride from Detroit, and Americans in Buffalo and San Diego can walk abroad. If it's a problem to sell a German a Brooklyn library membership, it's also problem to let a Brooklynite borrow an eBook when spending a weekend in Niagara Falls Canada. This isn't something a wise library staff will worry about, in my opinion.
SteveEisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote