View Single Post
Old 05-23-2008, 06:09 PM   #3
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
1- My objective with the Cybook would be to read books in MOBI, PDF, RTF and TXT files. Specially the first two file formats.
It reads quite well everything that can be converted to MOBI format, also MOBI books with DRM and MOBI library books with limited time for reading.

It reads PDFs fine, as long as they conatin mainly text. It may choke on more advanced PDF elements, and it will not read things that require much memory , like 80MB Dungeons & Dragons manuals. But then, no reader presently available will, as far as I know. Also, you don't have much options for zooming. I think you can read in portrait/landscape mode, 100%, or fit to page mode and that's it.

It doesn't have support for RTF file - but you can convert RTFs to MOBI.

It reads TXT files fine - but if you need to read files with non-standard ASCII characters, converting to MOBI may work better. They're working on it, apparently.

Quote:
2- My second and almost as important objective would be to read manga (japanese comics) in it (using JPG/PNG formats).
I read 10 volumes of Blame manga on it, and Appleseed, no problem. It's best to read A4 format manga, as then you don't have to zoom too much. The problem you may encounter though is that there's no folder support yet - Cybook can read files in subfolders, but it displays them all in a single long list. Every manga page would be a separate pdf, so if you want to keep many manga on the device, the may be much library-page flipping before you get to the page you want to start reading at. I'd keep manga on a separate SD card and instert it only for reading.

Quote:
3- I would like to synchronize it with some RSS feeds, to read offline (I know Cybook is an offline device, but I don't mind that).
As far as I know, this can be done very dependable through Mobipokcet Read, which allows for subscribing to newsfeeds, and synchronizing them with Cybook. I never used the feature though, I just read about it on this forum.

Quote:
Knowing these 3 main objectives, and considering Cybook's issues, would you still advise me to buy the Cybook? Or would you advise me to wait a little bit more for any other eReaders that will be commercialized in the future? Or is there another eReader, in the same price range or cheaper, that would be better suited for me?
There's talk of Astak Mentor, you may want to google for it. Otherwise, I haven't heard much. Some people prefer older (and probably cheaper) eBookwise, it doesn't have e-paper screen though.

Quote:
If you advise me to buy the book, what would be your advice to overcame certain issues (like Cybook's PDF handling, for example)?
Try to pack it into Mobi format, that works for most other formats.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote