View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #32
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
Oh, so you had that problem too? I thought it might have had something to do with the fact I still use Windows XP, but I wasn't sure. Good to know it was not something unique to me and I likely didn't mess up.
It happened to me and I've seen reports of it every so often over at XDA forums. In all cases it was a consequence of having written onto the SD card some particular pre-made bootable software images used for rooting & flashing custom ROMs.

I surmise the problem is caused by difference between GPT partition table format used in Linux (the OS of choice for developers/tinkerers who created these images) and MSDOS partition table format used by Windows XP (the prevalent OS for most of us mortals), and hence only a low-level reformat would restore the card to a state usable by Windows systems/tools.
Quote:
Since this corruption of the micro sd card when using the image file doesn't appear to be a unique problem, I would suggest anyone modding their Nooks with the CWM card method to use the alternative option for preparing the card -- the one where you set the first partition as active and then drop the boot files onto the card. That's what I eventually did and it seems easier and more foolproof to me.
Since my brush with the problem, I have always created my own bootable images as you do.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote