Thread: PRS-T2 Epub turns into EPU?
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
could it have something to do with the special characters in the file name. I was under the impression that the ' and the , could not be in a file name. (I have Win 7)...
Apostrophes and commas are allowed in Windows long file names.

But when Windows encounters a long file name it may create a 8.3 short "alias" filename for the file when it is written to disc. The file extension is also aliased if it is longer than the allowed 3 characters for short file name extensions. EPU is the alias for EPUB. So the file name the OP is seeing is the alias that Windows has created for its own purposes.

There are some differences between the allowed character set as between long and short file names. Limiting comment to just the file name mentioned the apostrophe is allowed in a short filename but the comma is not so it will be stripped out, the apostrophe probably too, but not necessarily so as it is legal (I am, however, unsure of the rules Windows uses for aliasing).

It would seem to me that the OP has a problem related to Windows aliasing filenames and presenting those on occasion instead of the long name. What that problem may be I have no idea. I have run into the same issue but only more than a decade ago with the versions of Windows then which with some imported files would alias them and present that alias instead of the long name.

Putting aside the possibility that the OP has a modern version of Windows that is somehow corrupted (unlikely I would have thought) my first suspicion would be along the lines that the OP is using an old (old meaning pre XP) version of Windows or if not then is importing files that have been resident on a PC with such an old version of Windows.

I am not claiming that is so, just a guess given at this stage as we do not know what version of Windows the OP is using, nor what PCs the problem files have been resident on in the past.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote