View Single Post
Old 03-20-2008, 08:12 AM   #82
balok
Ugly alien
balok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litter

Device: tricorder
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
That's a load of crap. I know a lot of you do not like the french, a dislike that peaked when they did not want to play war games, but you can't generalize them like that.
How odd that you should imply that I dislike the French. That's completely false.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that if a word contains the letters "th" in French, it is pronounced like a t, since the letter h is voiceless. For example, the word "anthropologie" is pronounced "antropologie."

Neither "t" nor "z" are equivalent to "th", but I think t is closer. So why do the French (or the Austrians or whoever) say "zee"?

In Quebec, a French-speaking province, people DO NOT say "zee". They pronounce it as a French-speaking person would pronounce a word formed by the letters "t-h-e" which sounds a little like "tuh" or "duh". How can you explain the difference between the way "the" is pronounced in Quebec and the way it's pronounced in France?

Quote:
Hell, listen to you guys talk german, or french, or whatever. It sounds like shit too!
Well, I admit my german sounds like shit, but I hope I can make myself understood in French, since it is after all my native language and that of my compatriots.

Last edited by balok; 03-20-2008 at 08:15 AM.
balok is offline   Reply With Quote