View Single Post
Old 05-21-2012, 12:06 AM   #14
KentE
...still a Zealot
KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pixi & PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
The question would be whether Amazon uses DRM for books they themselves publish. Ones like these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...d_i=1000664761

I recall reading something on this forum how you tell from the amazon.com site whether the book is DRM'd. But I don't recall what the post said. Could someone who does know how to check pick a couple books, at random, from the page I linked above, and see if the books are DRM'd?
Steve,
I don't spot any of the the books on the page you suggest that can be identified as DRM free.
The "clue" frequently used is in the Product Details section (usually under the synopsis) , which may read like this:
Product Details:
Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
Sold by: Amazon Digital Services
Language: English
ASIN: B004xxxxxxx
Text-to-Speech: Enabled
Lending: Enabled

The 'unlimited' Simultaneous Devise Usage is the part that identifies the book as DRM-free. Amazon's standard policy is to allow the buyer to load the book simultaneously on up to 6 (I believe) Kindle-capable devices registered to their account (Amazon's policy, not one set by authors or publishers.) So, if the book is DRM-free, Amazon does not limit how many devices it can be loaded on.
Unfortunately, I don't know whether this is ALWAYS listed for a DRM-free book, only when the author requests it, etc.
Amazon removed this tag-line for a while from all ebook listings (removing all chance of identifying a DRM-free book if the author didn't mention it), but it seems to be back now.

KentE
KentE is offline   Reply With Quote