View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #10
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
OK, if you want to SELL your books, you have to choose the format Amazon (or whoever) dictates.

But a lot of people here seem to be making books for their own personal use, on a single device, with no need for DRM. And a lot of them seem to really care about page layout, fonts..

So, if you use a computer or 10" tablet, why not PDF? If you want it liquid, why not a straightforward HTML "web site"? Plenty of readers have web browsers.
For me, there are several reasons.

I wouldn't use PDF because I find it's almost useless for anything I don't intend to print. Most apps render them sluggishly, the file size is relatively large, and if I want to adjust the font on the fly to account for anything from tiredness to lighting I can't. It's not a practical format for my uses.

As for a plain HTML "website," while I could do that, there's no reason for it. Others have already mentioned the file-bundling aspect, but the truth of the matter is that a web browser isn't a good program for long-form reading. Reader programs are better, they don't get in the way and things like bookmarking where you are in the book/page are easier.

Formats like epub and mobi, and dedicated reader programs are better for reading fiction, so it makes sense to use them.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote