View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 07:37 AM   #19
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I was in the military, and have read a vast amount about military history, yet I never fought in the US Civil War, but I can write about it.

What you do is be sure what do you say is true and don't pretend to have been there. You don't have to. No one that reads your work will have been there themselves.

And finally, in some ways all wars, all soldiers are the same.

Like a recent movie said "you are always trying to get home."

That's a universal truth.
That's probably true. I remember reading somewhere that there is a letter (probably in a museum somewhere) in which a Roman soldier was writing home about the conflict he was in and it sounded much like a letter that a soldier from WWI or WWII might have written. The main difference being the language in which the letter was written. Man is man no matter what time period his story is set in. Some things are just universal.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote