View Single Post
Old 05-17-2009, 04:50 PM   #149
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
So the catalog should be on a computer/media server/web repository, with proper backup procedures, and you just have a subset on your portable device at any given time (and maybe an offline copy of that subset of the catalog which your device is capable of reading), and a convenient way to download to your device.
Who would be hosting this? The company that sold the device? They'd offer this hosting for free? And they wouldn't shut it off if the user got banned from their service? Would the info be transferable when the device is sold?

I don't like online hosting of my personal details. I don't use iTunes. I don't even use Calibre for its library functions; I just convert with it. (Sometimes. Other times, I just make PDFs on small pages & drag & drop them into the memory card.)

Not everyone is going to want to deal with online database archiving, especially if their internet access is restricted--students using school computers, people on dialup, and so on. I don't think it's a bad idea, but I don't think it's "THE solution," either.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote