View Single Post
Old 06-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #19
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtB View Post
Greg,
Thanks for the Annotations plug-in for Marvin [the BEST reader I've seen by far].

Maybe confused, a question: Your annotation button works in Calibre. I export all bookmarks/highlights from Marvin and get a .mrv file. I then drag it into your plug in. When I look at the metadata of the book in Calibre, the highlights are there [as "comments"].

However, if I open the book in Calibre [in the native e-book browser] or put in a DropBox and reimport into Marvin, all the bookmarks/highlights cannot be seen. In fact in Marvin, the bookmarks and highlights dialog boxes are blank (as if the bookmarks no longer exist and are lost).

I remember that there was early discussion that the .mrv (annotations) file would allow users to export/save their highlights/bookmarks, then re-import/restore them later or e-mail/send to friends to import into their copy of the Marvin book on their end.
Ideally, I would like my highlights/bookmarks to show up "in" my book when I restore them, not be hidden in a comments file OR send them to a friend and he imports the .mrv file and has a complete pre-highlighted book with all highlights/bookmarks where I want them to be in his copy for him to skim the important parts of the book faster.

Am I not re-importing the .mrv file properly (through your plug in)? Do I need to do something different to restore the highlights back into the Marvin book so they are visible? How do I e-mail/share the .mrv file to another Marvin user so he can see the highlighted book just as I highlighted it (not in an invisible "comments" file)?

Thanks!!
A couple of clarifications.
1) Annotations and highlights are never part of the book you're reading, they are created by Marvin externally to the book, and exported/extracted by the plugin. So you will never see the annotations/highlights in any reader other than Marvin. If that's a feature you're interested in, you should communicate that to Marvin's developer.
2) Sharing/reimporting your .MRV file to Marvin is also exclusively a Marvin feature that the plugin is not involved with. I would suggest you ask that question in this Marvin thread in the Apple forum.

Hope that helps.

G