View Single Post
Old 01-12-2008, 11:46 AM   #15
dkm365
dkm365 began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, Palm T|X
I'm another who while I've been curious about e-readers, was prompted by the Kindle publicity to take a closer look. While the Kindle has some pluses (esp. the NY Times subscription delivery & the easy access to an online bookstore), the works everywhere bit is a joke even in much of the U.S. as the Sprint data network is so spotty and wifi hotspots are more available, and the attempt to not only to tie you to Amazon but also having Amazon know so much info about your use habits was a real non-starter for me.

After my usual obsessing over options, I bought an iLiad (the U.S. distributor has them in stock even though iRex appears to be out of stock). I'm an academic, so the ability to annotate readings was an important feature, which narrowed the field. I hope that iRex &/or the small community of wonderful volunteer hackers can make annotation on the mobipocket reader work in the near future to compliment the .pdf capability. The bigger screen for .pdf viewing was the other major plus that all the competition lacked. I hope that iRex recognizes the potential market with scholars and takes advantage of the edge it has. While there still are too few electronic versions of scholarly books, the increasing access to .pdf versions of journal articles make for a lot of paper to manage without a good way to read these electronically without the eye strain of regular computer monitors.

Can't wait to figure out all the potential of my new toy!
dkm365 is offline   Reply With Quote