View Single Post
Old 10-17-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
Actually Calibre does go through and remove hyphenated words intelligently. It uses the document itself as a dictionary to see if there is a variant of the word without a hyphen, and deletes the hyphen if there is a match.

The problem in this case is it's a crappy pdf with some other character encoded in addition to the hyphen. Unless this is a common issue across many pdfs (and I've never seen it with lots of test cases), it's probably not something that will get covered in the code.
Globalistan - Pepe Escobar
seems to be a good quality, non-commercial PDF, unless I'm misunderstanding the creative commons licence ?
QUOTE from http://www.nimblebooks.com/wordpress...mmons-license/
GLOBALISTAN free under Creative Commons License
Inspired by the example of the science fiction novelist Peter Watts, who released the full text of his outstanding novel BLINDSIGHT under a Creative Commons License last year to deservedly rapturous acclaim from Boing Boing! and many others, Pepe Escobar and I are happy to announce the Free GLOBALISTAN Project.

The full text of Pepe’s brilliant new book, GLOBALISTAN: HOW THE GLOBALIZED WORLD IS DISSOLVING INTO LIQUID WAR, is now available under a Creative Commons license in both PDF and html format
ENDQUOTE

maybe I should try grabbing & converting a html version instead ? Unfortunately the link to html version at the above site seems broken - only the pdf link is working.

PS could someone please explain - if the book is being legally distributed for free, with the author's blessing , how come Amazon still want £5.27 for a Kindle version ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	323.6 KB
ID:	59890  

Last edited by cybmole; 10-17-2010 at 10:55 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote