View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 12:58 PM   #9
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post
Don't you think some of the problem in the slow adoption of an open source software apps for phones is that Verizon and others' business model is built, in part, on getting people to pay $$ for apps. I remember that in order to have web access with Verizon on your phone, you had to pay for the web application. Then you have to pay for access to certain sites. You have to pay for ringtones, wallpapers, etc.

The free customization of a phone eats away at large profits. (I.e., the profit margin on a ringtone has to be very high).
Exactly why I expect adoption to be slow, depending on which carriers accept the device, and which ones (like Verizon) decide it is counter-productive to their profit margin, and deny it.

Of course, as Google is talking about web-based apps, Verizon can still charge you a premium price for web access on their network, and make their money that way...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote