View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #23
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Well that really doesn't count, it's fanfic.
I was listing the reasons why episodic stories/novels have no interest to me. A bit of history, if you will.

But thinking about it, why wouldn't fanfic count?

Outside of fanfic, is there any real guarantees with any serialized fiction?

Especially any I pay for. Do I get my money back if for any reason the author loses interest, or will my money just be considered as complete payment for each episode?

Who would guarantee, and how, that what happens in fanfic won't happen in other fiction?

Was Steven King's "The Plant" ever finished? Last I heard, it wasn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
The Scalzi one I'm interested in now has a 13 episodic series that seems cool and they are all stand alone, but interconnected.
If they're all stand alone, isn't that a series? I'm all for complete stories, with a beginning, middle and end, while supporting a larger story arc through several books. I love a good series.

But when it comes to incomplete snippets, chapters, or chunks that can't stand alone, for all the reasons stated about fanfic, no.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote