View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
Krykorya
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I can't answer you question with respect to the Sony devices.

The Kobo Touch can handle thousands of books, but shelving then is impractical from the device. The calibre driver will do this based on columns in the calibre library. How practical this is, I don't know as I normally have less than 500 books on my Touch. I actually have over 200 shelves and extra 500 books on the SD card at the moment while I test something. The first time i did this the setup of the shelves took a few minutes, but syncing now is a lot faster.

You should also reconsider the Kobo Glo. The front lighting is the main thing mentioned, but it has a faster CPU (1GHz vz 800MHz in the Touch) and a higher screen resolution (1024*758 vs 800*600).
Thank you for that. I do currently use Calibre to organise the collections on my Kindle, so if Kobo shelves books in a similar fashion to Kindle, then it will be just fine for me.

As far as the improved specs on the Kobo Glo - my eyes are bad enough that the increased screen resolution is unlikely to make any difference to me, but do you think that the increased CPU speed would improve performance when specifically reading from the microSD? I've heard that both Kobo and Sony devices experience serious slow-down when accessing the card.