View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 07:10 AM   #14
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I love calibre. I use it to convert a lot of files for personal use all the time. But I wouldn't be uploading calibre produced content to KDP even if I had a pretty solid promise it was "compatible." That's not bashing calibre in any way. It just doesn't seem prudent to me to use anything other than the official tool-chain for professional publication. I'm a bit OCD in that regard.
We keep our converted books in a Calibre Catalog. I love it for that. It has many--many--great uses. But Kovid does not claim, and never has, that it's a production tool. I, too, am a bit OCD in that regard--the right tool for the job, and all that. But people will always seek what they see as a silver bullet, the "easy way out," like magic diet pills, rather than spending a few hours learning to make a MOBI file. Hell, you can even make a passable MOBI now with WORD, for the love of heaven. Not what I'd put up as my work, mind you; but nothing wrong with it for DIY'ers.

It's not Calibre I object to, not at all. It's the Whovian "Resistance is Futile" when you try to tell people something that they don't want to hear that gets up my nose. ;-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote