View Single Post
Old 09-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #28
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Dictionary writers aren't in charge of definitions, they just report how words are used. If replacing ensure with insure is common enough, they'll report that in their dictionaries.
I think it's well known that there are two different approaches to dictionary writing; the passive, reactive one you describe, and a more prescriptive approach. Personally, I prefer the latter, it stops language development being driven by the uninformed majority

I think that the majority of people I know use the word "pacific" when they mean "specific". Does that mean it should become an accepted usage and be included in dictionaries? Or should dictionaries point out the correct meaning of the two very different words?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote