Thread: Upgrading
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2011, 02:33 PM   #15
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
The only advice I'd give is, unless retail comes down drastically, get a refurb. Paying $250 for the NC this late in the production cycle, especially if you intend to root it or use a custom ROM, would be madness, and there is literally no downside to the refurbs. They're generally indistinguishable from a new model (for all intents and purposes, they are new models), they're fully warrantied, and right now they're sitting at $150. Hopefully retail will come down as the holidays approach, but the cost of refurbs will fall right alongside it.

As far as modifications, check out the link in my sig--it provides a decent overview with links to the methods you'd use, so you can decide for yourself if it looks like too much for you.
So I purchased a refurbished Nook Color partly for when I want to read ebooks for which color is needed, but mainly to use as a tablet computer. I went the SD card route for route using an ordinary ScanDisk 8 GB card and followed the instructions given here. Running CyanogenMod 7 from SD (Nook Color): Simplified Instructions Much appreciation due to Taosaur for that. The Android OS installation went without a hitch. The problem I am stuck on the moment is after installing the CM7 Google Apps package. That install went just fine, but on starting the device and being prompted to set up a Google account I have reached a frustrating barrier. I have an existing account, and the Nook Color wi-fi connection is setup (my home DSL/wi-fi), but during the attempt to complete the Google account setup the wi-fi connection keeps dropping, I have noticed that the wi-fi connection goes in and out, never staying connected for more than 10-30 seconds. This does not happen to the wi-fi connection when I have booted into the original Nook Color OS. Since losing the wi-fi connection during the setup forces me back to reentry of my Google account name and password it is at the moment a endless loop. Any helpful suggestions?