View Single Post
Old 08-14-2008, 12:18 PM   #13
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I'm going to suggest it again, and let the chips fall where they may: Replacing student revenue with advertising or patronage revenue might be the answer.

It is probably not a good idea to simply allow ad money to select which books are used, so it would likely be an involved process of:
  1. Previewing texts by teachers,
  2. Selecting texts to use,
  3. THEN selling ad/patron/grant space for revenue.

Strict rules of the type and format of ads would also have to be applied.

Go ahead and say it: No one likes ads.

But who likes paying $500 a year for textbooks?
People that take course like this. "A History of Erotic Narrative (LTCS2014)"
http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:...lnk&cd=2&gl=ca

Of course they probably wouldn't mind the advertising either.

I'm sorry was the rhetorical?

Seriously is it only $500 a year for textbooks? That's what I had to pay in the dark ages and then I had an instructor that handed out Xeroxed magazine articles all year because the textbook was out of date.

I think the best solution is to include the textbook cost in the course fees.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote