View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 06:43 AM   #7
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Begemot View Post
However, after a few days with Nexus 7 it is simply unusable for more than 10-15 minutes as my head starts to hurt from the glare.
What is "the glare"?. Is it the strong light from a backlit screen or is it mirror-like reflection of surrounding lights?
Where do you read from the device? What is the ambient light level?

I know that many people, including myself, praise e-ink devices for not emitting light and thus being much friendlier for your eyes. The fact is, there is absolutely no difference between a photon that is emitted from an LCD backlight and photon that is reflected from a paper page or an e-ink screen. I know that the "white" light from an LCD is different than the white light from the sun. The light from LCD consists from a certain percentage of narrow frequency bands around Red, Green and Blue and white light from the sun has all the frequencies (still, with a fluorescent or even LED lightbulb the white is not really all-frequency-white ala sunlight) . There is also refresh frequency that is different (again this was much more an issue with early models of CRT monitors). But still, from a physics point of view, a photon is a photon when it hits your eye, no matter where it came from ...

*The* main difference between a passive e-ink and an LCD is in the level of ambient (surrounding) light. With an e-ink, tle level reflected from the screen is the same, or a little bit lower, as ambient light level. With LCD being read in the dark room, the screen is much, *much* brighter and that is the main thing that hurts your eyes [on a modern display].
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote