View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
Kobo's "Typegenius" feature (accessible if you select "Advanced" next to a font name) lets you adjust "Weight" and "Sharpness."

I get what "Weight" does -- it makes the characters bolder -- and can clearly see the difference as I adjust the slider.

But I don't understand what "Sharpness" does. I can't see a visible difference on my Kobo Glo (although I have aging eyes, so that shouldn't be taken to mean that there is no difference). What, precisely, does Sharpness adjust? What does it change on a per-pixel basis?
I haven't really looked at it but the two techniques popular for increasing the perceived sharpness of a font are subpixel rendering which is more commonly found on colour displays (LCD, OLED) and is used by Microsoft's ClearType, Quartz, Adobe's CoolType, etc -- basically, you use the 3 colours to effectively triple the resolution though if you look closely enough, you can see colour fringing. The other option is pixel anti-aliasing which can be used with hinting to improve the appearance. From what I've seen playing with TypeGenius, is that Kobo's fonts that support TypeGenius without Metazoa's patch have the hinting information.

You can check Wikipedia for more on subpixel rendering and other anti-aliasing techniques. One quick link is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Font_rasterization.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote