View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 12:42 PM   #148
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@OverDrive View Post
Okay, we're making some headway here! Thanks again for all your feedback. I've done my best to compile your various development requests, bug reports, and questions. I've added some comments below, and I'll try to keep you posted on any movement on these fronts.

1. Request: Return to old Cart system. JD Gumby, Blossom, DianNC
To clarify: Not necessarily a *return* to only a traditional cart system - but reimplementing it along side the borrow now system. Some days people want to only grab one item (where borrow now helps, assuming it actually reduces the number of steps to a simple "Confirm that you would like to borrow this item" prompt rather than a cart system where you just have a single item at a time, as it's sounding like from some of the other comments; having no account at a library that's been switched, I can't really say more from experience - won't stop me from sounding off, though. :P), some days people want to grab multiple items (where a cart system helps). At worst, it should be a settings option, same as default lending period, to choose between a traditional cart or borrow now.

Quote:
13. Question: What type of checkout records do you keep (for recommendation records, etc)? JD Gumby

OverDrive does not keep user-identifiable information. All we receive from your library is your library card number, and we don't share individual checkout records with libraries. I'll ask the dev team for details on how the recommendation algorithm works.
Being on a touch device, it is *VERY* easy to accidentally browse something that you didn't mean to when scrolling through search results and such. Whether or not the information is being retained (and, frankly, no offense to you, but I don't believe *ANY* company's rep when they say the information's not being kept and used - been shown too often that it's not the case, especially given how easy it is to tie "anonymized" info to a single ID :/), it's whether or not a single bad click can forever taint your future results or not (like it does at retail sites if you browse while logged in and don't purge your cookies regularly)...

Quote:
Thanks again, guys. I'll check back in with you ASAP.
Regardless of eventual actions (or lack thereof) in regards to the various issues raised in this thread, good on ya for showing that you're at least paying attention to what's being posted and not just repeating a company line over and over that only barely has anything to do with what's being said (which, after many years on game forums and such, I've come to expect as the default from company reps :P). Speaks well of OverDrive.

Last edited by JD Gumby; 12-14-2012 at 12:45 PM.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote