View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #328
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
With my PocketBook, you copy the firmware update to the reader, press a couple of buttons during the bootup, and the firmware gets installed. No Windows/Mac/Linux dependencies at all. With the latest firmware versions, the device will even get the firmware update itself over WiFi. Now that's simple. Requiring specific computer OS's to do updates is Sony complicating things for us.

And Linux isn't an orphan OS. It may have a small user base compared to Windows, but it is actively being maintained and improved. So I think 'unpopular' would be a better choice of words than 'orphan'.

Linux may be worked on, but it is an orphan. It's also unpopular. So I don't see any reason to complain when some software you want to run doesn't work. Terry chose Linux and a Sony Reader when never has Sony supported Linux with any Reader software.

To TerryAJ, you can update the T1 with a Windows guest OS running inside VirtualBox on a Linux machine. It's work to set up, but it'll come in handy for this kind of crap in the future.
Don't use a virtual Windows. It can lead to bricking. It has happened in the past with others using a virtual Windows. It's because the USB doesn't always get enough system resources to keep the stream of the firmware to the Reader going at a proper rate. Find a true Windows or OS X system to update the firmware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote