View Single Post
Old 11-01-2011, 11:53 PM   #10
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
The Kobo Vox, as I've mentioned elsewhere, is my basic tablet. It's portable, and the reason I bought it was for the screen, which is superb. Not for the OS, but for the good screen and moderate size. It's not the best TABLET... but it suits my purposes nicely. And the price point is about right at $199 - lower would be better, but it's where I need it to be, and the Kindle Fire will be useless outside the United States due to the lack of cloud support, the lack of Amazon Prime and its video and music options, etc.

Most Android tablets, I am sorry to say, are crap. Overpriced and underpowered for what they provide. They also get very little support from their makers; ASUS has committed to bringing Ice Cream Sandwich to the Transformer, but they're one of the few who even bothered updating their tablets to 3.2 in a timely fashion. Motorola only JUST got 3.2 deployed... despite being the 'Google Experience' designate for this generation of tablets (aka: they're the flagship tablet that Google uses to show off the power of Android 3.x).

While it's heavily locked down and the browser's restricted as hell (as is the rest of the software, which innovates about as well as Microsoft does - in other words, they have to borrow concepts from third party apps and then present them as original brainstorms), the iPad is a pretty decent table as far as usability goes. I don't have to constantly restart it; if I buy an app in the App Store, I can be certain that it'll work on any iPad I own now, or may own two years from now (barring ones that need the camera). I buy a game for the iPad 1, and I can easily move it to an iPad 2 that is registered to the same account.

The Vox does not impress me hardware or software-wise, aside from the screen. Where it does impress me is the price point, including the AFFS screen which works decently in direct sunlight. It's a 'good enough' tablet for its price. I can live with it, whereas I'd deeply regret spending the extra $100 for a Honeycomb-based tablet which will be obsolete as soon as the Tegra 3 platform arrives in a month.... and which is likely to lose active support from its manufacturer shortly thereafter as they focus on selling the Xoom 2/Transformer 2/whatever.

WebOS was nice.. but again, HP screwed up by delivering the tablet a year too late to matter, not finessing it so it wasn't sluggish due to excessive logging which would've been useful for a QC tester, but made the OS horribly slow unless you turned it off), and by overpricing it for what it did ($579 regular price for a tablet that has no app support versus the thinner, more popular iPad 2).

You can probably tell I've been hanging around that scene too long.

Last edited by Haesslich; 11-02-2011 at 12:00 AM.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote